IMac with Pandoras Box Manager

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

IMac with Pandoras Box Manager

Postby Patrick Verhey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi,

I made some experiences in the past using Apples IMac with Bootcamp to run the Pandoras Box Manager on it.
Basically it is a nice idea to use the big IMacs since they have a great display, but I had a lot of Problems with them.

One Problem was that the performance goes down very quick if you are using the preview. What happend is that the Manager is not running smooth enough any more. If you run clips on the timeline you will see that the clips rendered by the server are not running smooth. It seems that they are speeding up and down. This stops as soon as you switch off the Preview.

The other thing, and this is really a big Problem, is that the IMac has a big temperature Problem. The whole body of this computer gets very hot, and as soon as the room temperature rises, the IMac tends to just switch off. I had this with different computers in different enviroments, but its always the same way. You do see kind of a blue screen for a second. For my opinion the grafic cards gives a temerature alert to boot camp, and boot camp sends the computer so shut down. This issue is a big Problem, since this can happen on sudden during a show.
Actually yesterday night, it happen in a musical show I was operating. I was able to reboot the system within a few minutes and most of the audience did not recognize it. This was the first crash ever I had in a show.
After that I turned down the display backlight to minimum and for luck the IMac stayed on for the rest of the show. We used the same computer for programming during five days and almost five nights. It never crashed, but in the show the heating of the venue was on, and we hat a lot of audience in. So it was probably a 15° warmer than in programming state.

From this experince I recommend NOT to use a IMac in Show situations. It can simply switch of without warning and your show is done.... So please do not use the computers for Pandoras Box in Show situations.

best regards

Patrick

Re: IMac with Pandoras Box Manager

Postby Patrick Verhey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi,

I did some research on that issue and it seems that Bootcamp has a problem with the fan and power management. So the fans are running to slow and the cpu and the grafic card heats up too much.

Here is a link to a programm wich should control the fans, but I have no idea if it helps:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

best regards

Patrick

Postby Patrick Verhey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi,

and one more update onto that issue. I just got an information from Mac support that the big Imac computers do have a known problem with overheating power supplies. This sometimes happen already with the mac os. In combination with the bad power management and fan control in boot camp it will be even worse in windows.

So another reason NOT to use IMacs in a Show with Pandoras Box since that Hardware seems not to be stable enough.

Best regards

Patrick

Postby Patrick Verhey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi,

another update on MAC with Pandoras Box. As we have recent support issues with different things on Mac hardware I would like to state out that a MAC hardware is NOT a windows hardware.

Running windows in any version on a MAC hardware we cannot guarantee that either Pandoras Box or the Widget Designer will run without problems.

No matter if you are running BootCamp or any virtual machine like Parallels, you are not running a proper windows system. There are several issues with drivers, runtime updates, security updates and so on which behave different on MAC hardware.

We hardly recommend to use a Windows designated hardware if you run Windows programs and a MAC designated hardware if you are running MAC programs. All Coolux Software is build for Windows.

best regards

Patrick

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components