Akai APC40 & Widget Designer

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

Akai APC40 & Widget Designer

Postby ryan7585 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I've been madly trying to use the template for the Akai APC40 built into the tools of the Widegt Designer.
For some strange reason, about 6 months ago it worked, I could see the fades and buttons executing and communicating to the template. Now, I think after a bunch of updates here and there, I'm trying to setup the system again but it doesn't work.

The APC40 communicates to other applications without any problems. Just not Widget Designer. Does anyone have any ideas??

From the sand pit.

Ryan
ryan7585

Re: Akai APC40 & Widget Designer

Postby Mike Steinbrecher » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 pm

HI Ryan,

which Widget Rev are you using?
I just tried here again.
I used Rev 95 Pro. I just connected the USB, choosed it as Midi Recieve in the AKAI APC 40 Editor under Tools, and it work´s directly.
Did you do any updates on the Akai?

Nice regards

Mike
---------------------------------------------
Mike Steinbrecher
Technical Sales Manager
Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik

Christie Digital Systems | http://www.christiedigital.com| Richard-Byrd-Strasse 19 | 50829 Koeln | Germany
Mike Steinbrecher

Postby ryan7585 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey Mike,

I have borrowed one of my mates APC40, he may have very well updated the firmware.

I've downloaded the recent WD STD Rev 95. I plug it in, load the APC40 midi template, then select the midi device...only thing is the midi device doesn't reference it to as an APC40, just a generic audio interface. I will try and get another one to give it a go.

Another small question, is there a way to preview the thumbnails of the folders in WD through WD STD 95??

Regards,

Ryan
ryan7585

Postby Mike Steinbrecher » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 am

HI Ryan,

it also works in Rev 95 STD.
Yes it is just called generic audio device. Do you have something else connected to your computer?
Did you plug it in before you started the WD? Try this.

To your small question, when you click on IP configuration, where you also download the thumbnails, there is a button " Thumbnail Browser". Here you can preview your thumbnails.

Nice regards

Mike
---------------------------------------------
Mike Steinbrecher
Technical Sales Manager
Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik

Christie Digital Systems | http://www.christiedigital.com| Richard-Byrd-Strasse 19 | 50829 Koeln | Germany
Mike Steinbrecher

Postby ryan7585 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Ok...APC is working...didn't realise yesterday...Its receiving midi from the APC40, but only from some of the buttons. The faders and encoder wheels it does not receive any midi signal. I've also noticed alot of the buttons are single 'ON', when the button is set for toggle on and off.

My next step is to link these buttons and to the device. Do you have a training manual that I can read to get a grip.
Basically i want to press the clip launch buttons to execute the clip. I would set the up and down arrows to scroll up and down the folder then the left and right arrow to scroll through the folders. Patrick and I looked at doing this with the thumbnail preview window...well I think we did anyway.

Peace!!
ryan7585

Postby Julia Foest » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:06 am

Hi Ryan,

thanks for reporting that faders and encoders are not working, I have reproduced it here. If it is essential for you to use all functions of your AKAI Board now, please go back to Widget Designer Rev. 93 until this bug is fixed.

Generally it is very easy to assign commands to buttons or faders on your AKAI board.
Once connected to the AKAI APC40 you may press a button or move a control to let Widget Designer intercept and give you access to the Controls scripts or Fader Encoder Settings.

To change any button setting press on the button, enter your scripts (see "scripts" in Helpfile) in the Button Settings Section down left and press [Apply].
To change the functions of the fader and encoders, move the according device and enter your values (see "fader" in Helpfile).

Download the current helpfile for all PB software here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=814.
Inside you will find more explanations about the controls in Widget Designer.

Hope this helps!
Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby ryan7585 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Hey Julia,

I couldn't find a link for the reproduced file, did you leave it in the PB folder cause I haven't been able to locate it.

I'm alright for the moment, still teaching myself how to link between the Akai and WD. Thanks for the tip with 93.

Regards,

Ryan
ryan7585

Postby Julia Foest » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi Ryan,

I'm not sure what you mean with "I couldn't find a link for the reproduced file, did you leave it in the PB folder cause I haven't been able to locate it."
Could you please explain it?

Thanks,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby ryan7585 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Julia,

Your previous post stated "...i have reproduced it here..." what did this comment mean??

I thought you had made the file available to download.

Regards,

Ryan
ryan7585

Postby Julia Foest » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Ryan,

"I have reproduced it here" meant that I verified there is a bug regarding the faders of midi boards inside WD95.
There is no fix yet, except using WD 93 (where this sill worked) or awaiting the next update of WD.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby Julia Foest » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:39 am

Hi Ryan,

sorry, first day after my holiday....
WD 97 is already online! See here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=853

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components