Numbers in Variables

Moderator: Moderator Group

Numbers in Variables

Postby JustynR » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 pm

I was programming a very in depth interactive gameshow Widget to use with the Airscan - where the contestant chooses the question (which is a number) and the answer is contributed with that selection... a video plays if they are right... a different one plays if wrong... blah blah blah

anyways...

one thing that I noticed was that if i have a VInt Variable created with a number in it - or only as a number, it would make the entire Widget stop working...
the only buttons that would work would be the page changes. No commands were sent to the Manager.

It took a few minutes to figure out what was causing this, but the moment I deleted any Integers with numbers as the title, it started working again...

Should I just not label them with numbers? or is there something I did wrong?

Thanks,

j
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Re: Numbers in Variables

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi Justyn,

thanks for the report.
I haven't realized this issue so far. We will try to reproduce and fix it if needed.

If you have done something "wrong"!? I think we have to decide between two states here.
Having numbers in a variable name definitely should be possible, so this is not wrong, but having a variable name only existing out of number is definitely a problem.
How shall the Widget Designer know and decide if e.g. number 343 is a variable holding value 152 or meant as number and real value 343? This is the same in other languages and can't be defined while compiling it. Maybe we have to add a warning or something similar whenever you try to name a variable as a number only.

I assume that the WD was lost somewhere while working with a number which was a different one.

Thanks again for reporting.
Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Re: Numbers in Variables

Postby Martina Protze » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi Justyn,
I set up a small project with Widget 215 and Pandora Mgr 6247 on the same laptop (Win7 Prof). I created two integer variables called test1 and 123 and applied fadervalues to both of them. With test1 I controlled the X Pos of a layer in pb. With 123 I triggered the status of sequence 1 (if 123 > 0 {seqsetstate,1,play} else {seqsetstate,1,pause} ) Both is working, even though I want to agree with Markus, that naming integer variables with 123 is not a "nice" way...
As it is working here, could you tell me what is different in your setup? Revisions, hardware setup, names of your variables, etc ??

Thanks and best regards,
Martina Protze
Technical Support, Pandoras Box and Widget Designer
Martina Protze

Return to Widget Designer V4.7