XKEYS

Moderator: Moderator Group

XKEYS

Postby cyeary » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Hello all,
So after purchasing a new 58 keys Xkey I have come to find out that it is not recognizable by Widget Designer. The Xkeys that work with Widget Designer are only from the SE line which are not really supported anymore by PI Engineering. I know I am not alone in the fact that the ability to have control over Widget designer with actual buttons and not touch screens is HUGE for me. Tactile feedback from buttons is so essential for high stress, high speed and quick programming environments. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the new version of Widget designer take advantage of these newer devices so that we can use widget designer to its full potential.

Cameron Yeary
Unlimited Visibility, Inc.
Cameron Yeary
cyeary

Re: XKEYS

Postby Martina Protze » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi Cameron,
do you have one of the older 58key devices, can you confirm that the Editor under Tools > Keyboard > XKeys works with the older one but not with the newer device? As I do not have access to a newer device, this would be important to check at your site.
Of course we have no influence whether XKeys changes the firmware, if the firmware is the same it should work in the Widget Designer.
Just to be 100% sure: Please have Pandoras Box not loaded, plug the USB cable in before launching WD, open the Editor, check the Enable tick box and press the button "Apply". Then you can assign commands to a specific button and press Apply again.
In the current WD version 382 the node "Jog Shuttle / Fader Extension" works only with the newer devices and only when the Enable tick box is checked.

Can you please check those things once more, then I can forward the feature wish. Thanks!
Martina Protze
Technical Support, Pandoras Box and Widget Designer
Martina Protze

Postby cyeary » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Martina,

Yes I can confirm that what you have requested I have done. I spent a good amount of time on the phone and via email with the PI Engineering people and here is what I have found. .
The series of units that Pandora used to use was called the SE line. This included the jog shuttle, the 58 key, the 84 key and the 128 key. So basically everything that is supported by Coolux and the widget designer. They made a slight change when they discontinued the 128 key in the way windows recognizes the devices now. They changed the PID. The hardware is the same it is mainly the PID that changed which is causing WD not to recognize them as a supported device. The new line they call MWII this is what all devices sold by them are except for the 84 key. They do have some remaining SE units in stock and I am getting one sent to me next week to confirm this 100 percent.
Cameron Yeary
cyeary

Postby Martina Protze » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Cameron,
thanks for the research ;) I have forwarded this to the developers, let´s see what they say...

Best regards,
Martina Protze
Martina Protze

Postby Martina Protze » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Cameron,
the developers are in contact with PI Engineering. Please always be patient with hardware requests of this kind as we have to test the programming with the new hardware first...
Martina Protze
Martina Protze

Postby cyeary » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:56 pm

No Problem.
I received my older versions of the Xkeys today and I can say that it works perfectly.
Cameron Yeary
cyeary

Postby jsormani » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Any news on this issue?
At the moment it's only possible to use the current x keys in keyboard emulation mode, but not native. The problem is that WD needs focus to operate with keyboard interrupts

John
jsormani

Postby ingibekk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi John,

been looking into buying xkeys for myself.

Would be lovely to have native support for the current version of XKeys, but in the meantime isn't it possible to map 'Alt+Tab' before and after the commands you would want to have the WD focused ? So you would switch from the manager momentarily?
ingibekk

Postby cyeary » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Consider this a thread bump. This needs to jump in the list please, being able to use widget to create custom control interfaces is a HUGE thing in my opinion for Coolux. Tactile feedback is also essential to certain functions.
Cameron Yeary
cyeary

Postby Martina Protze » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 am

Hi there,
thanks Cameron for bringing this thread back to life. I have tested the described issue with the 128keys SE line and WD Rev 1806. WD executes my scripts eventhough its GUI has not the focus. I am trying to find a newer WMII modell, to test the behavior. However, due to other major construction work going on, I'd like to be honest and tell you that we cannot prioritize this issue now, but we keep it in mind to support you guys with a device with tactile feedback.

Best regards
Martina Protze
Martina Protze

Postby cyeary » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:52 am

Yes I am aware of the large overhaul to the Widget which I am excited about. However loosing Xkeys function would be very disappointing. Is 1806 part of the overhaul build or existing code structure. The reason that I ask is that my current xkeys use with a SE 58 and 84 are almost ESSENTIAL to my programming speed. My speed at building a show almost doubles between using the xkeys with my widget set up and not. Thank you for looking into this once again.
Cameron Yeary
cyeary

Postby Martina Protze » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Hey, 1806 is still the "old branch", it will still need a couple of months until the new code can take over and I promise we also clinch on the X Keys ;)
Martina Protze
Martina Protze

Postby roeland22896 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Hello, Is there any update on the xkeys?
I would like to buy one to use with the widget for a project but i need to know whick ones are supported.
Can you please comfirm what devices (that are currently sold) are supported?
roeland22896

Return to Widget Designer V4.7