How to set up track scan.

Moderator: Moderator Group

track scan

Postby chriss0212 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:54 pm

hi

today i start to play with our new track scan...at the moment it is not mounted on a propper way but i am wandering that:

- even if i fix the position above the barcode and the 2nd led is green, the value is still jumping ( i dont mean a small jitter...i have big jumps...above all bytes!)

i am using a wut usb to 232 adapter...but 9600,8,n,1 shoudnt be a problem here?!

does anybody have experience about the installation of the scanner? how important are all the angles in the mounting?

thx and greetz

christian
chriss0212

How to set up track scan.

Postby Tito » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 am

We just got our new track scan, and want to start trying it out...

I haven't found any install instructions or drivers for it, can anyone shed some light on the set up process?
do I need to connect both the usb and the rs-232? do I need drivers?

any help will be appreciated...
Tito

Re: How to set up track scan.

Postby chriss0212 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:09 am

hi tito

have you ordered the trackscan at coolux? the one i have doesnt have any usb port...just serial. and for this you dont need any driver. just use the trackscan node. depending on hardware revision (i think it should be rev2) you just choose the com port and the revision...push connect and it should work. if you ordered the scanner somewhere else it could be, that you first have to configure the scanner to proper baud rate settings and so on...but about this secret only coolux can help :-)

only problem i have is that the value is jumping...maybe coolux can help here :-)

greetz

christian
chriss0212

Postby Christopher Fluegel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi guys,

I've merged your posts into one because it's the same.

To get the TrackScan work properly provide usable sensor values you have to setup it in a way that it can scan at least three barcodes.

The LEDs are showing the following:

Both LEDs green: scanning is ok.
One green and one red LED lighting constantly: you are too far away or too close to the barcode > the TrackScan has to capture at least three barcodes to work best.
One LED is flashing red: indicates a warning. This happens if the TrackScan scans below the zero position barcode.

What we can say from our side is that we've heared about errors occuring from time to time with the usage of RS232 to USB adapters with sensors. We recommend to use a real RS232 port. If your Mainboard has no RS232 serial port you can simply upgrade your PC with a PCI card which can handle one, two or four RS232 ports depending on the model. You maybe can have success with a different USB to RS232 adapter. Unfortunately there's no rule of thumb for these adapters, sorry.

Once you have a valid RS232 connection you should be able to see the input of the sensor in Widget Designer after selecting the according COM port.

Hope this helps.
Christopher Fluegel
Technical Support, coolux GmbH
Christopher Fluegel

Postby chriss0212 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:52 pm

hi christopher

both led's are green and i take care, that i scan more than 3 barcodes...but still jumping. so i will try another rs232 connection. i had no problems with the wut adapters....up to now but who knows :-)

thx and greetz from wuppertal

christian
chriss0212

Postby chriss0212 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:42 pm

hi christopher

i changed to a pc with build in serial adapter....and what can i say...it works perfect!

thx and greetz

christian
chriss0212

Postby Christopher Fluegel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:38 am

Hi Christian,

thats good news! And it shows perfectly off that these mostly cheap USB to RS232 products do not work in some cases.

Thanks for your feedback!

Greets from Cologne ;)
Christopher Fluegel
Christopher Fluegel

Postby chriss0212 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:03 pm

hi christopher

i wouldn't say cheap...this is an industrie produckt where a single usb to rs232 port costs € 180.-!

http://wut.de/e-38211-ww-dade-000.php#Bestellinfo

greetz

christian
chriss0212

Postby Christopher Fluegel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:15 pm

ooops sorry! didn't realized that WUT described a manufacturer.
Christopher Fluegel
Christopher Fluegel

Return to Widget Designer V4.7