Watch Folder Question

Moderator: Moderator Group

Watch Folder Question

Postby JustynR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 am

Is there any way to poll the number of files in a folder inside a PB project?

It would be very handy for when I have a show where I have the Manager and Widget Designer on different computers.
Also would be handy for loading new files into a project - just to be able to drag it into a folder in PB and have the Widget Designer know that there are more files in that folder without having to actually copy it on the HD.

For example, I have a show coming up where I have several folders - each with about 100 pictures - that will be put on different layers on a total of 12 different Players. Using WD a different picture randomly on each machine, 1 at a time.
There are 3 different times that I have to do this - 9 folders (or groups) total - 3 different folders play each time (9 folders / 3...) I will not be told what folders or groups are going up until minutes before it happens. Since each folder has a different number of files in it, I can't set it to loop "randomly" without knowing the number of files.

If I could have 3 folders numbered 1, 2 and 3 - just click and drag files or folders to it and have WD know how many are in it.

If someone knows of a way to do this... or if there already is a feature that exists that I haven't found... please let me know...
OR if this should be in the feature wish list section and this can't be done, let me know and I'll do it the way I have it set up now.

Cheers,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Re: Watch Folder Question

Postby Christopher Fluegel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Did I get you right that your only problem is that you can not watch the folder when it is on a different computer?
Christopher Fluegel
Technical Support, coolux GmbH
Christopher Fluegel

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi!

Do you know the watch-folder-input-node?
This will return the amount of files in any folder you address - even over a network path.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby JustynR » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes I do know that.

I was just wondering if there is a way to have it look at a folder in PB so I won't have to import it and spread it during the show when I find out what files are actually being used.

For this show, I will have 8 folders of pictures, around 100 in each folder. About 5 minutes before the cue, they tell me what 2 folders they want to see - based on a vote or audience input.

I would like to just take 2 folders and drag either the folder or its contents into a folder labeled Cue 1, Cue 2 or Cue 3.
This way I don't have to do that through Windows, load the folder, spread the content and address the files.

This the last 2 folders are going to be pictures taken by a photographer on the day that he will be giving me 5 minutes before they go on also.

That's what I was trying to ask, if it is possible to do that for that reason. I have a work around or 2 in place for right now.

Thank you
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi!

As long as your files are in real folders on your harddrive you could use the watch folder.
If you are attaching files from different file paths in one PB-folder, there is no way to get this feedback. Sorry.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Return to Widget Designer V4.7