Cannot create variable, why, how?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cannot create variable, why, how?

Postby claude.rivet » Tue May 14, 2013 9:40 pm

I am currently designing my first complex widget and would like to use variables. I open the variable list from the tool menu but contrary to what the manual state I cannot create a variable, the option is not even in the menu (only delete and refresh list are availlable).

Ultimately I would like to make a midi preset machine where values from a midi controller would be stored in variables when a "record" button would be activated and then later all values from variables recalled using a custom script button.

I really need variables but for some reason I just don't get how to create them.

Anyone knows where I fail?
claude.rivet

Re: Cannot create variable, why, how?

Postby Jason Riordan » Wed May 15, 2013 3:02 am

Do you have a WD Pro or Ultimate dongle installed and associated version? This sounds like you have WD std installed.
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Postby malkuth23 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:33 am

There is no variable tool in Standard... So it must be Pro.

You can either use a script to create the variable ig. vint,xyz,1 or vstring,zyx,coolux

If you have a newer version of WD (download the newest) - you can right click in the tool and create a variable.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby claude.rivet » Wed May 15, 2013 3:08 pm

I have WD 3.5 pro, cannot afford the latest version. So from what I get I cannot create variables straight in the list.

I do not mind creating them from script but when I do will they appear in the variable list? Also, I haven't found a simple script window where I can just write lines, run them and be done with it. Do I need to attach the script to the page?

Sorry for those very basic questions but the manual is not helping much and I feel I need outside help.

thanks for considering my questions, regards.
claude.rivet

Postby JustynR » Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 am

The simplest way to execute a single script is to put it into a Custom Script Button and just click the button.
Yes, when you create a Variable, it will show up in the Variable Window and it will show you the value of the variable.

Cheers,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sun May 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi,

I use the macro window to quickly execute WD code. You can find it at the menu in the "Tools" section. Just type the code and click run. When you are done close the window by using the cancel button so you dont save your temporary code lines.

Best regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Return to Widget Designer V4.7