Widget Designer on Dell rack server

Moderator: Moderator Group

Widget Designer on Dell rack server

Postby stefan2861 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:07 am

After some searching in the forum I can't seem to find the hardware requirements for the Widget Designer. My setup is like this:
- Video Player on a workstation machine to drive a LED screen (on remote location connected via LAN).
- Multiple LED fixures on remote locations (connected via LumenRadio sender/receivers).
- Control centre with Widget Designer for input from sensors and to make content for the ledscreen.

Now I would like to use an Dell R210 II rackmount server for the widget designer software. Because I can run Windows in an virtual environment (like VM ware ESXi) and all the RAID and remote management tools are build in. Only problem is that these server do not have a big graphical card inside.

Or would a workstation machine be the right choice for the control centre as well.
stefan2861

Re: Widget Designer on Dell rack server

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi,

First of all: I never tried to run WD in a virtual machine. To be sure please test the setup before you use it in production environment.

I think that the missing graphics might impact WD's performance, especially since you want to use the GUI. When using WD as a passive system that simply processes data without someone interacting with the gui then it might work out, even on a virtualized machine. But again, you probably have to try yourself.

Best regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Return to Widget Designer V4.7