System monitoring

Moderator: Moderator Group

System monitoring

Postby Justin Ireland » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:44 pm

I have a very large fixed installation with many players that experiences some occasional lockups. I am working on a widget that will monitor systems and notify me of any problems.

Is there a widget command that will give me player health/status or what would be the best way to go about doing this? I was thinking a ping test might not be sufficient because sometimes players will disconnect from the manager but technically still respond to pings.
Justin Ireland

Re: System monitoring

Postby malkuth23 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:35 am

There is the health node.
It works pretty well, but has a few quirks. You should test thoroughly... I only use it to notify me through email. I do not let it automatically restart anything.

What are the lockups? Maybe we can help.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Justin Ireland » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Hey Matt, long time!

Originally I was seeing a lot of nvidia driver crashes but that seems to have gone away with a recent PB release. Now the problem I see most often are players getting disconnected from the manager and VNC becomes unresponsive. These things run 24/7 so if something happens overnight we cant respond until the next day.

It would be really nice to have some sort of monitoring widget that would monitor the health of players and if one becomes unresponsive for a certain amount of time then have it do something. At the least it could send an email but ultimately the goal is to have its power outlet cycled automatically.
Justin Ireland

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Hey,

WD has some Nodes build into it, that can help:

PB Health Node (Monitors system)

You can also use a WD Device and run Values on the Timeline up and down. Send those Values to WD. If they stop, something is wrong.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:57 am

Hey Justin!

Make sure you are using the recommended drivers from the coolux.de downloads section. Some newer versions of the nvidia driver are screwy, so the recommended ones are best.

Check your network cables and switch. Sometimes weird network problems can cause crashes.

Also - EDID. If the EDID switches while in fullscreen, you will have a bad time. Any sort of EDID management helps.

Auto-reboot every night is useful too... Maybe just a placebo, but I like it for installs.

If you purchased from coolux US (now Theatrical Concepts) you can always send us your logs and we can look them over. It might give us a hint. Otherwise you can send the logs to German support.

@Daniel - the value trick from PB -> WD is one I use a lot, but it only tells you if the Manager is dead, not a client. Health node is the key, but I am having troubles where the health node will occasionally give me a false negative.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:15 am

You are 100% right.
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Return to Widget Designer V4.7