Creating a custom keyboard to update text in Manager

Moderator: Moderator Group

Creating a custom keyboard to update text in Manager

Postby cormac.conn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi there,

I am working on an interactive projection for kids using widget designer. For one part I would like the user to be able to input their name, which would then appear on screen. As it will be used by kids, I would like to create a custom keyboard with large buttons.

Right now I am using the 'ResourceSetText' script to send an individual letter to a text box within Manager, but in order for me to achieve what I want, I would need to set up several text boxes side by side to form one word/name. Is there a script that allows me to put in more than one letter in a text box? For instance, Button A has the script 'ResourceSetText,5,5,A'. Button B has the script 'ResourceSetText,5,5,B', but instead of overwriting A, it comes after it, so you see AB in the text box.

I have a fallback, which is creating a Text Box in WD and creating a button with the script 'ResourceGetTextFromTexbox', but I really want to create a custom keyboard for this project. (Is there a way to set up buttons that send letters to a text box?)
cormac.conn

Re: Creating a custom keyboard to update text in Manager

Postby cormac.conn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:34 pm

I actually figured this out. If anyone is curious, I set up a Textbox and buttons with the letters of the alphabet. On each button I used the script 'WDTextboxAppend,ID,Value'. I then set up a delete button with the script WDTextboxClear,ID'. This allowed me to type text into the textbox and clear it.

I then set up a text layer in Manager with the ID 5,5. In Widget Designer I created a button with the script 'ResourceGetTextFromTextbox,ID,5,5'. This is the final button to user presses to confirm their text input, as it updates the layer in Manager.
cormac.conn

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:00 pm

Hey,

that is what I would suggest as well. You could also create blank buttons and use a macro to assign text to the buttons automatically to spare some work.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby cormac.conn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 am

Hi Dennis,

I noticed something else on this. in the text box properties on WD, there is an option to limit the amount of text you can input. This works fine with a regular keyboard, but if you input text in the way I mentioned above it doesn't work. It just seems to ignore that function and you can type as many characters as you want. Is there a way around this?
cormac.conn

Return to Widget Designer V4.7