Receiving TCP command

Moderator: Moderator Group

Receiving TCP command

Postby Eric Ludacer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:51 am

Hello All.

I am putting together a work around for a project. I have a system that has two Christie Captiva Ultra short throw projectors connected and being controlled by the widget. I also have a crestron controller in line to convert the audio file to 7ch. We were planning on also using the Crestron to turn off the projectors at certain times as well as if the fire alarm is trigged. Originally we were going to talk directly to the projectors from crestron thru the network. However since the network is also connected to the widget and since the crestron is constantly requesting status from the projectors (can not be adjusted) the network port on the projector locks up.
Since we are able to control the projectors from the widget I am looking at how to receive a TCP command from the crestron and once widget sees that string to fire a command to turn off or on the projectors depending on the string sent from crestron.

I have set up a TCP connection in the widget to the crestron
We had a cutom module built to send "Projectors Off" and "Projectors On" from the crestron at specific times we determine or when a contact closure is tripped or released.

I am assuming I need to use a TCP input node but haven't been able to make it work.

Any suggestions would begreat.

Cheers.
Eric Ludacer
Eric Ludacer

Re: Receiving TCP command

Postby Thomas Mrozek » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:44 am

Hi Eric,
first step is to establish a connection on a specific port for WD and crestron. Maybe the communication port is fixed by crestron, then you have to put in the right values in WD Connection Manager (find them in crestron manual). To test the connection you can use right click on the connection in the connection manager and hit 'test', you'll have to see all incoming commands from crestron.
When connection is working you have to use TCP Input node to get data from crestron into WD node system to process data.
http://www.coolux.de/root/downloads/sup ... dconnm.htm

cheers
Thomas
Thomas Mrozek
Product Manager
Thomas Mrozek

Postby Eric Ludacer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks Thomas.

I was on the right track. I had things set up in the connection manager correctly. I totally forgot about the test button to be able to see and verify exactly what the crestron string being sent is. I am sure I just need to tweak what I am expecting to see and all will work correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Eric Ludacer
Eric Ludacer

Postby florian » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:49 pm

when doing network protocol integration stuff, I often find this tool very useful:

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hercules/index_en.html

It allows you to quickly set up tcp and udp client and server processes, and then monitor the communications and synthesize interactions.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Postby chrisr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:27 pm

Florian,
If I read the Hurcules website correctly, you can "send" test data across a network so you can test your Nodes within widget designer? Amongst a lot of other features.
Thank You

ChrisR
SurfacePro3 - 2GHz i5 - 4GB ram - Windows 10 Pro - WD Pro 4.7 Rev2500 and WD v6
Sager Laptop - Intel 2.4GHz i7 3630QM - 16GB ram - Windows 7 Pro Svc Pack1 - Offline Manager v6
chrisr

Postby florian » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:18 pm

hercules can send and also receive data.

very powerful little tool. :)
-flo

florian

Postby chrisr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Very sweet. I actually have a current project I am working on that I can use this for. Thanks for the insight!!

Off the top of your head, have you programmed Hercules to respond to a specific query? For example...

TCPSend,1,GetM ( would get specified information from device ) Is it possible to tell Hercules to watch for this network command and respond with specified data. This way I could test my nodes to make sure they are functioning properly.
Thank You

ChrisR
SurfacePro3 - 2GHz i5 - 4GB ram - Windows 10 Pro - WD Pro 4.7 Rev2500 and WD v6
Sager Laptop - Intel 2.4GHz i7 3630QM - 16GB ram - Windows 7 Pro Svc Pack1 - Offline Manager v6
chrisr

Postby florian » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi, Hercules isn't complex enough to create automated query response interactions AFAIK.

What you can do with it is create a server that receives your messages and monitor the input in ASCII or HEX or OCT and verify that you are actually sending the messages you want to be sending, then reply to them manually.

The TCP DAT in Touch Designer may be what you're looking for if you want to model more complex interactions. It can be scripted directly, through it's callbacks feature, to respond to parse incoming TCP data in various ways and assess conditionals to trigger reactions to data.

I don't know if this makes sense in a diagnostic/r&d situation though, since you will need to recreate the behavior of another system, and wont be able to confirm that you did this accurately until you try it with the actual equipment. So a lot of work for a false sense of security. :)

Usually, if I don't have immediate access to the gear I want to talk to, I just verify that I can send and receive messages that are formatted the way I expect the equipment to behave and then verify the behavior with the actual gear later onsite.
-flo

florian

Postby dbergeron » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:33 am

How did you get wd to talk to the Captiva? I'm also trying to control them from WD but had no luck with port 3002.
dbergeron

Postby justyn roy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:49 am

The Captivas use PJLink.

Use Port 4352

POWER
Code: Select all
%1POWR 1[CR]   Power ON
%1POWR 0[CR]   Power OFF

SHUTTER
Code: Select all
%1AVMT 30[CR]   Shutter Open