MaxMSP to Widget Designer via UDP

Moderator: Moderator Group

MaxMSP to Widget Designer via UDP

Postby alokw » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:14 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to send a series of integers (in this case X and Y coordinates) via UDP from Max/MSP on one computer (2.0.0.2) to PB Widget Designer Pro (2.0.0.1).

I've tried many, many configurations, and I have been able to do it, but in a manner that seems extremely inefficient... so I'm seeking all of your guidance.

In Max/MSP, I'm converting the integer to a symbol, using "tosymbol" then sending it out with "udpsend 2.0.0.1 5309"

Then, in Widget Designer, I want to take the value and assign it to a fader (so I can see whats happening), and then to a layer's X Position. Here's where it gets iffy:

Widget Designer only seems to see the values coming in if ASCII mode is selected, and I can only get one value in a time (I haven't been able to send packed values in a list from Max/MSP). The ASCII thing really messes things up, because a fader won't let me assign an ASCII value to it... SO, I'm assigning it to a Textbox, then assigning the Textbox to the fader. Then the Fader to a Range node and then to the Layer Control. Seems like there's probably a better way.

Also, I'm using one Range node to scale from MaxMSP's values of (0-255) to what works in my screen config (-800-800). But, for some reason, sending the -800 to 800 values to PB Manager results in values skewed very low. The only way I've been able to fix it has been by using another Range node to go from (-800 to 800) to (0 to 65335)... and THEN for some reason the Device Controls in PB Manager actually see values between -800 and 800. Any thoughts there?

Fore more info, see the attached PDF with details of EVERYTHING.

Thanks for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alokw

Re: MaxMSP to Widget Designer via UDP

Postby alokw » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:34 am

Hi again all,

Part 1 is fixed... was able to send raw integers/floats straight out of Max/MSP to Widget Designer using:
mxj net.udp.send @address x.x.x.x @port x

This let me get rid of the textbox fiasco I described in the previous post, and send the values directly from the UDP receive node, into a fader or layer control.

Now, two more questions for you :D

First, I've tried literally every possibility I can think of to try to send "lists" via UDP out of Max/MSP into Widget Designer. But, no matter what parameters I use, when I try to get multiple "Output Channels", I get something like the following in the Output window:
23 24 25 26 27

I've tried multiple ASCII Start/Split/Stop parameters, but with no success. How can I parse these out to separate "Output Channels"? I've attached a screenshot of a Wireshark capture, as well as the capture file itself, if it helps.

Okay, final question... is there any way for me to send the current value of a device control parameter out of Pandoras Box Manager via UDP... I know I can put values from Widget Designer into Manager, but I basically want to go the other way, so that another system can now what a current value is while its playing back from the timeline. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alokw

Re: MaxMSP to Widget Designer via UDP

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Also, I'm using one Range node to scale from MaxMSP's values of (0-255) to what works in my screen config (-800-800). But, for some reason, sending the -800 to 800 values to PB Manager results in values skewed very low. The only way I've been able to fix it has been by using another Range node to go from (-800 to 800) to (0 to 65335)... and THEN for some reason the Device Controls in PB Manager actually see values between -800 and 800. Any thoughts there?

Hi alokw,

The Range thing is easy to explain.
Form Version 4.6 on the the Fader and Values in the Device Controlls and inside the Manger are on default centered, so that 0 Rotation is @ 0 and not at 32768.
But this these values are only true inside Pandoras Box, everything that comes from the outside, like Widget Designer, PB Automation, Artnet, MA Net and so on still work on the old values. This is done so that old projekts still work.

-800 to +800 with centered values is the same as 31968 to 33568.

One way to make it easy for you is to turn off Centers Values in the Configuration Tab.

I hope this explains what happens.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Return to Widget Designer V4.7