Stereoscopic Projection with Pandoras Box

Moderator: Moderator Group

Stereoscopic Projection with Pandoras Box

Postby Jan Huewel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Dear All

for stereoscopic projection it does not matter where the projectors are, if side by side or on top of each other.

for a stereo 3D projection with polarized glasses it is mandatory that both projector outputs are lined up as tight as possible on top of each other.

the best image quality is archived when stacking 2 projectors on top of each other and if possible the projectors pixel line up can be setup with the projectors lens shift.

If this is not sufficient you may use either Pandoras Box keystone correction or the projectors buil-t in one.

Please also make sure to use linear polarized filters in front of the projector.

The filters will need to be offset by 90degrees from each other in order to let you see only one projector per eye with polarized glasses.

Once the projectors outputs are aligned to each other all you will need to do is put on your 3D glasses and offset both outputs cameras x Axis slightly away from each other until you see the 3D effect.

The best way to do this is to use a rotating 2D layer or 3D object.

Best regards

Jan Huewel
Jan Huewel

Re: Stereoscopic Projection with Pandoras Box

Postby hammersorcer » Fri May 28, 2010 10:58 am

Dear Jan
A question, I can not understand why we need to offset both outputs cameras x Axis slightly away from each other after getting all things done, I mean the image must be not clear or be double.
Could you explain the reason for me? Thanks :D

Best regrads
Sorcer
hammersorcer

Postby Jan Huewel » Fri May 28, 2010 11:26 am

Dear Sorcer

the reason why the x offset is so important results of the human vision.

The left and right eye have a distance to each other.

with the x axis offset the cameras can be adjusted to match that distance.

I hope this makes it a bit more clear.

Best regards

Jan Huewel
Jan Huewel

Postby malkuth23 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:17 pm

It is called the interocular distance.

It is another cool variable you can play with as far as 3d creation. If you make the interocular distance larger the perspective becomes more like that of a giant, with better depth perception of things in the distance. If it is close then one sees like a bug would. One has to be careful to set the offset correctly for the content because you can cause eye strain if you make the interocular distance too great and have too many objects in the foreground. If you make the offset too small then you can lose the 3d effect of things in the background... There is a formula to calculate it if you are dealing with real life physical objects, but with a virtual world like PB I am not sure how one would go about figuring that out... I can dig up the formula if anyone is interested in trying to apply it.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Jan Huewel » Sat May 29, 2010 8:43 am

The relation between eye distance and size of objects can easily be retrieved from the x axis offset unit count as well as the y and z distance of the cameras to the layers.

Keep in mind that in camera mode 0(Keystone/warping) and 50 (HQ) the default distance of the camera is -25 in z axis

If you create layer objects in Gmax or 3D Studio you can set the sizes accordingly.

Jan Huewel
Jan Huewel

Postby hammersorcer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 am

Dear all

I encounterd a problem, stereoscopic projection with polarized glasses. I want to make sure that after postioning the two projectors well. we need to offset the X axis of two cameras away from each other a little bit. what do you mean two cameras, two real output cameras or the camera X axis function in PB ? Sorry for asking those a little bit silly questions. I'm a little confused.
By the way I need that fomular to caculate how the distance bettwen two cameras affects the perspective such as objects you see in the foreground or background of the screen. it will be very helpful. Thanks

Best regards
Sorcer
hammersorcer

Postby Patrick Verhey » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi,

Stereoscopic Projection can only be done with Pandoras Box Servers using both outputs. So once the system is hooked up you move camera 1 to one side and camera 2 to the other side. Do that while you are looking with your glasses to the screen until the 3D effect will pop up.

The easiest way to set it up is using a background clip moved all the way back in Z Position and a 3D Object on a Layer in front of it.
To move the cameras you use the >< aling function.
This way you do not need any calculation or formula. You can easily do that on site by looking on your screen.

best regards

Patrick

Return to Tutorials