Add FX to Layer via WD Scripting

Moderator: Moderator Group

Add FX to Layer via WD Scripting

Postby n.weber » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Hello,

the title says it already, ist it possible to use WD scripting to add an FX to a Pandora Layer? I know i can control FX parameters once i added the FX in PB, but i would like to add FX on the fly.

Kind Regards
Nadja
n.weber

Re: Add FX to Layer via WD Scripting

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi Nadja,

I think the reason why you can't do that is that FX setup is something you do once while programming and not while running the show. However, there is are FX collections that include the most common effects and can change the FX by changing a parameter. (see FX collections)

Allowing this would lead to a more powerful Player license because you could somewhat circumvent the FX/Device limitations. You can request such a feature in the Feature Wishlist, but I am not certain that such a thing would be implemented.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby n.weber » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:20 am

Hi Dennis,

thanks for your reply. I totally see your point about the license.

Maybe to explain where the idea came from...we have (i guess) a somewhat unusual setup as we don't really use timeline features/keyframes. In our setup control over what content is played when and how is completely in WD. Last week (with a very tight deadline) our PB project stopped working and we couldn't repair it but had to setup all the layers in a new project. This happened again this week, so I wondered if we could "outsource" the layer setup to WD, too. This basically works the only thing that's missing would be adding the FX. FX collections won't do the job for us as we use a custom effect.
Anyway, thanks again. I'll be in touch with the support team about our project file issues.

Kind Regards
Nadja
n.weber

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi,

You can use "Save Project Copy" to save away a backup of the current state of the project. Also when something went awfully wrong while saving you should be able to rename the "MyProject.xml.bak" to "MyProject.xml", because it contains the last state before saving.

It's a good idea to ask the support, because a project doesn't suddenly "stop working", maybe something was misconfigured.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Return to Widget Designer V4.7