HAP Codec

Suggestions and comments for Pandoras Box V5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: HAP Codec

Postby plbrunet » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi Patrick,

I haven't run a setup with a 10 gigabit network yet. It hasn't been available so far. Eventually I'm sure it will come but I also don't mind 1 gigabit network for now.
It gives me time to have a sip of water once in a while! ;)
Pierre-Luc Brunet
Audio - Video - Show Control
http://plbrunet.com
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/pierrelucbrunet
plbrunet

Postby Sam Kriemelmeyer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:40 pm

A glorious day...now for some testing!
Sam Kriemelmeyer
Theatrical Concepts
samk@theatrical.com
Sam Kriemelmeyer

Postby JustynR » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:13 am

The drag and drop I believe is a Windows wide thing...

It wasn't working for another few programs for me.

Someone on here pointed me to a fix and now it works!

Use it carefully and you'll have drag and drop back!

http://www.mladengradev.com/en/how-to-get-back-drag-and-drop-in-windows-8/
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby plbrunet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:41 pm

HAP has arrived!
Download your Panrodas Box update here. V5.7 Rev 12383
http://www.coolux.de/index.php?id=dowload-center#file/cat-10/file-261
Pierre-Luc Brunet
Audio - Video - Show Control
http://plbrunet.com
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/pierrelucbrunet
plbrunet

Postby claude.rivet » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:14 pm

It is worth mentionning that ffmpeg can output .mov containers, I do it now and then and it works wonder.

The strong points for ffmpeg are as folow:
-Deals with way more format (included or potentially includable by compiling your own version)
-Is FAST, very fast and very flexible
-Can include many processing, relative or absolute (crops, pix formats, padding...)
-Most important to me I can write a batch file in windows, make the proper registry entry and you can now right click a file in windows and encode the target directly from there. In my right click menu I now have options like "convert for VLC", "Convert to m4v", "ectract audio to WAV", and obviously I would add "Convert for Coolux - transparency", "Convert for Coolux - HQ" and "Convert for Coolux". In a show the client or producer comes with a file, I copy to manager then right click it and choose "Encode for Coolux" and it produces a HAP file in a .mov container. I could even resize to HD and add padding if necessary, or 4k, or whatever. Usually I leave the size untouched and just convert to HAP.
-If it is included in ffmpeg it also means the encoder tool in Pandora Box will be able to output it directly.

Hap is great but it does require people to install a quicktime component and output via a quicktime compatible exporter or worse use the quicktime player (version7). So rather than right-clicking and encoding right away you have to open QT Player, open the image sequence or movie (which is very long with large files), choose export in the menu, choose quicktime sequence, go in options and select HAP... it's not that it doesn't work but it's both time consumming and inneficient from a live show standpoint, especially because you can't batch it from QT Player. Note that in this case the person programming the media server and the content creator are not the same person often located in different offices working on different systems. We now usually just tell our content creators to output bmp sequences or very high bandwith mp4 files and we encode properly ourselves. In this very case HAP via QT player or Adobe Encoder is just a hassle and it cost money. FFmpeg is both free and far more powerful and fast than QT even to encode to QT container files.

One last note, HAP hates dithering, all artefacts I had were when dealing with sources containing dithering which is just not processed and reverted to banding. There is a workaround and I hope it will help people here:
-Use ffmpeg to output the video as an image sequence, it will bake the dithering in the files so when you convert to HAP from that image sequence it won't display the banding, I only had one file where that process failed so it is a decent workaround.
claude.rivet

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Good to know that you found a working workflow, but coolux at this point has no intention of implementing FFmpeg into any of their products.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby malkuth23 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:58 pm

You can use ffmpeg to go to HAP directly though right?
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby claude.rivet » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:21 pm

As of now Hap needs to be wrapped in a .mov container, I can be mistaken and if anyone knows of a native hap extension just inform us, I'll be happy to output whatever is more efficient.

Daniel I don't insist that you guys implement it my point is you already use ffmpeg in your converter, it is an ffmpeg encoder so my point was that if we find a way to include Hap in ffmpeg it becomes trivial for you guys to allow such output via your encoder extension if you find it useful or desirable.

In the end I am using the collective Coolux programmer mind to adopt an ideal workflow, nothing more.

Thanks again to the Coolux team to have implemented HAP, much appreciated.
claude.rivet

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi,

I totally understand that you are trying to optimize your workflow.
Just to clarify coolux uses in none of their products FFmpeg or any part of it.
All our MEPG Encoder and Decoder come from Mainconcept.

If you want HAP integrated into FFmpeg you will need to request the either at the HAP Website ot at the FFmpeg website or do it on your own. Booth software products are available as source code.

Regarding content encoding. There are a couple of things on the list which we will look into.
At this point HAP Encoding is not one of them, because there are very good solutions for that and we see HAP mainly as one way to get Content into Pandoras Box from content Editors who directly encode into HAP.

But we will keep listening to user requests and also to promise to improve the product step by step and also the workflow.
Upcoming Version 5.9 will already bring quite a few workflow improvements.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby malkuth23 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:12 am

ffmpeg has some complicated licensing issues so it makes some amount of sense not to package it with coolux.

I would still like to see some sort of non-mpeg encoder in PB. For inline encoding I don't care if it is DDS or HAP or whatever, I just want an easy way to encode within the program and mpeg is pretty much dead to me.

this thread might help with using ffmpeg -> hap
http://ffmpeg-users.933282.n4.nabble.co ... 71226.html
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby claude.rivet » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for the clarifications about the encoder, I had the wrong info. Thanks for the link also.

Looking forward to 5.9!
claude.rivet

Previous

Return to Feature Wishlist V5