4k on Player STD w 2 dongles?

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

4k on Player STD w 2 dongles?

Postby plbrunet » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:57 am

Hi everyone,

If I put 2 Player STD dongles in one computer, can I then play 4K videos with it? Instead of just HD content.
It would be seem logical to be able to do so. That way one could play only one video file for the two outputs.

I'm preparing a permanent installation of about 60 video outputs using Players STDs and I want to cut down on file management and layer programming. As you know that will take a LOT of programming and time if I need to program 60 layers and 60 effects every time I want to have content every where and adjust it. Being able to cut down by half the files and layers required would be VERY helpful and appreciated.

Is this possible? I really hope so...

Thanks.
Pierre-Luc Brunet
Audio - Video - Show Control
http://plbrunet.com
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/pierrelucbrunet
plbrunet

Re: 4k on Player STD w 2 dongles?

Postby Benni_M » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Hey,

no it's not possible. The Player STD can only play HD content. Doesn't matter how many Dongles you put inside.
If you want to play 4K Content you have to use a Player Pro, Dual-Player Hardware, Quad-Player Hardware or a Server.

Greats,
Benni
Benni_M

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Hello,

You reminded me of the saying that 9 woman can't make a baby in one month.

The number of Video Layers and the number of Output devices are the only thing that stack up.

You can solve your problem with a Player PRO license. This allows you to do 4K playback on your own hardware.
Keep in mind that you can have any Output/Screen resolution that you like with your own Hardware. It is only the video (and also image sequence) resolution that is limited.

Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby plbrunet » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Hi Dennis,

You reminded me of the saying that 9 woman can't make a baby in one month.

This saying is very true (and funny) but luckily for us, we have more control over how software is made that how babies are made. :)

I should rephrase my question / conversation topic. I'm actually not interested in playing back 4k videos of STD player but rather I'm interested in reducing the amount time and files that are required to create large video surfaces. Basically, it would be very useful if there was either:
1) No video resolution maximum or (if you really want to keep a limit)
2) A video resolution limit that matched the total output resolution of the client computer.

That way we could have one 1 video file per computer rather than multiple files. This would save a lot of time and reduce headaches for everyone.

But looking at the bigger picture, even 4k is not big or versatile enough. If I have a 8 projector wide image and computers with 3 or 4 outputs, right now, with 4k max, I cannot create files that are 5760x1080 or 7680x1200. I need to double the amount of files required and this adds unnecessary time (in programming, file creation and management) and it adds complexity and potential for mistakes.

Limiting the maximum video file resolution only makes it more complicated and time consuming for the content creation team and the Pandora's Box programmers. In the end, the people who are the most affected by this limitation are users and not the ones paying for the bills and buying the Coolux Licenses.

That's why I think the video resolution's maximum should be revised.

Do you see what I mean?
I think this would be very beneficial for everyone. Both for Coolux and its users. That's because the simpler and faster a program is to use, the more people will want to use it and buy it.
Pierre-Luc Brunet
plbrunet

Postby Oliver Kilian » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:13 am

Dear Pierre,
Thanks for your comment on this topic and I do see the valid arguemntation!
Be assured that we have passed on the thread to product management.

Thanks very much for your input
Oliver
Oliver Kilian
coolux sales department

kilian@coolux.de
Oliver Kilian

Postby plbrunet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi Oliver and Dennis,

Thank you for listening and understanding!
Pierre-Luc Brunet
plbrunet

Postby JustynR » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:22 pm

Very true!

If I could, I'd have full Quad Pro Servers to make things easier on my end... but because the bosses won't do that, I am stuck on site finding work arounds to make Pro Players work (which in 95% of cases Players are exactly what we need) but for the large 44 projector blend show I did last year for instance, I had 14 videos playing on all of my machines at the same time.
The work around I came up with for this was to use the Widget Designer to assign the right video to the right layer on each machine, but it was still very frustrating to not be able to make 1 Virtual Machine and program from there with 1 or 2 files!

I think we all understand that there are some hardware limitations and that we wouldn't be able to find a machine that would be able to play back 2 55,000 x 1080 videos while a cross fade is happening... but there has to be a better solution to having to put 14 x 4k videos on the timeline (in that instance anyways).

Thanks for listening guys, we love you for it!
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby azman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:36 am

4k file size limit is becoming more of a restriction now that 4k is fast becoming common place,

It would be idea (for my purposes) to have a larger file playback - if only larger on the horizontal,
I'd rarely use anymore than 1200, maybe 2160 but I have yet to have found a need for 4k vertically.

I'd happily sacrifice a video layer or 2 for ability to play 1x 4k+ file rather than stacking multiple 4k videos on multiple layers.

Az
azman

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:24 am

That would be cool if we could combine 2x player standard layers to = 1x 4k layer.
It would still be a significant reduction in power making the player pro a good buy for those that need that, but not massively limit player standard users so much that they look elsewhere.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby vester86 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:48 pm

simple question:

with an "old" V5 licence for a player STD (so 2k max). what is the max VERTICAL resolution? is this limited to a 16x9 aspect ratio, or is the max resolution 2K x 2K, so 2048 x 2048 pixels??
Freelance sound / video technician
www.vestertheatertechniek.nl
vester86

Postby Benni_M » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi,
the max resolution for video files is 2048x2048.
images are more. (have to try)

best,
Benni
Benni_M

Postby vester86 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks for this Quick answer. No restrictions in the physical output?
Freelance sound / video technician
www.vestertheatertechniek.nl
vester86

Postby Benni_M » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:37 pm

No.
Benni_M

Return to Pandoras Box V5