Better Iphone App

Moderator: Moderator Group

Better Iphone App

Postby cyeary » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:38 pm

So I think that the iphone App is really pretty handy but it would be great if there was a way we could make custom skins and such for it and make it much more pretty for certain things. In my mind it works fairly similar except we can load custom backgrounds and buttons. This would be great for making nice custom control remotes for installs.
Cameron Yeary
Unlimited Visibility, Inc.
cyeary

Re: Better Iphone App

Postby florian » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:13 pm

Possibly a dumb question, but why would a skinnable remote app be better than building an interface in WD and using the Webserver?
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Postby cyeary » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:40 pm

Clients don't want to see a webserver. They also don't want to accidentally navigate away. Right now we are using HRS to do this in a install but that is a very expensive way to do it. Widget I think would be much cleaner. Unless there is a way to make the webserver side stupid proof that I am not aware of.
Cameron Yeary
Unlimited Visibility, Inc.
cyeary

Postby florian » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:18 am

Well, navigating away from a client facing web app hosted on the widget is unlikely since the Widget is probably not running on a public IP. If it is you might have other problems... :)

On IOS at least you can create a URL bookmark that lives on the homescreen. Since users would have to be connected to the control network anyways to interact with the system it seems like some amount of user savvy is already required.

What's HRS?
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello,

going forward the Web Server in Widget is going to be improved, so that an iOS app might even be obsolete (if you put aside the sensor readout). You can use Safari together with Guided Access on iOS.

Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Return to Widget Designer V4.7