Split LED Wall Tearing

Christie Pandoras Box Version 6 - Q&A

Moderator: Moderator Group

Forum rules
When asking make sure to include the operating system and the revision of Pandoras Box you are using. If your question is related to hardware, please state if you are using coolux hardware (which one) or if you built your own.

Split LED Wall Tearing

Postby bried » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:42 pm

I am using a manager and two player softwares to send animations to an LED wall that is split horizontally across the middle. I have one player sending signal to the top half of the screen and one player sending signal to the bottom half of the screen, each to a different processor. I am seeing quite a bit of tearing anytime the animations move relatively fast across the screen. Looking at another post on the forum I tried to play the video with one frame delay on the lower half and this did not help. We are running GeForce GTX 1080 graphics cards in all the computers. I saw also on that post that they seemed to fix it with a graphics card with Mosaic. Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on how to go about fixing the tearing would be greatly appreciated.
bried

Re: Split LED Wall Tearing

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 am

only real way to avoid it is sending everything out of 1 GPU in Moasic or Suround Mode.
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby Jason Riordan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Out of a player running a GTX1080, you are capable of running 4 outputs at 3840 x 1080 @ 60fps easily. The only thing that would be limiting would be the processor and how your drives are setup (RAID 0, 1, 5 and are they SSD or HDD). I have ran pan screens of over 15000 x 1080 pixels on our Core i7 / Xeon machines without a single issue.

What resolutions are you trying to drive to the LED wall processors?
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Postby bried » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:26 pm

I am trying to send 1920 x 640 to each side of the screen for a total of 3456 x 640. I am setting some panels to be blank so that I am sending a standard resolution. I just ordered in a sync generator but I am not really sure how to use it and the instructions were not helpful for someone new to all this.
bried

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Hello,

I'll just throw in viewtopic.php?f=122&t=4199 and https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guide ... surround#5

A sync generator only makes sense when using Quadro GPUs and a Sync Card!

Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby bried » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:01 am

Hi, Thank you so much for the response. I tried enabling surround and setting it up but all it did was prevent me from using my second camera and I could only put the content on the time line on one half or the other. Did I miss something in setting it up?
bried

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:10 am

Hello,

When using spanning or mosaic, the span/mosaic is shown in Windows as one display. We try to find out when you are using such display setups, but in some cases Pandoras Box doesn't detect it automatically. Use the Configuration tab to override:

http://www.coolux.de/root/downloads/sup ... engine.htm

(Set subdivision to 2)

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby bried » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:40 am

Ok. Bear with me here. Got it so both cameras are pointed where they need to be, content is sized for the wall. I still see tearing. Is this because I am telling it a resolution larger than what it actually is? We had been having problems with our processors and weird resolutions so the suggestion was to always send standard resolutions and just leave off the pixels you don't need.
bried

Postby bried » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:51 am

I just tried using our older processors and setting it to the same standard resolution as the outputs and blanking out the panels that we don't need and am currently not seeing tearing. However, I am wary about this solution as I had it working similarly earlier and for two days with no tearing only to experience tearing again with no explanation. All I could figure was that DVI eventually became unsynced somewhere since its not a truly syncable source (this was before using surround) along the line. Should I have this same concern with using the surround? Will it start tearing again? If so what other options do I have?
bried

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:30 am

Hello,

If your system is set up correctly using surround then the outputs should be vertically syned. If you still experience issues, you might see the issue that I'm explaining in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4157&p=13141#p13141

This can not be solved by the source, it can only be solved by the display devices (the controllers/led wall)....well you could increase the refresh rate, then it is less likely that people will see it ;)

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby bried » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:08 am

Awesome thank you. The wall I am testing it on I have vertically synced. I however will have to do this again shortly with a wall split the other way and they will be side by side rather than on top of them. I noticed in that post you talked about how it might help to position the walls side by side. Even in a side by side set up instead of one on top of the other you would still have to use something to keep the screens refreshing together sort of like surround or mosaic right? And I am correct in understanding that surround wont sync across machines but mosiac will?
bried

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:26 pm

bried wrote:The wall I am testing it on I have vertically synced.

Don't sync the led processors or wall if your source is already synced! (mosaic, surround, quadro w/sync card)

bried wrote:I noticed in that post you talked about how it might help to position the walls side by side.

true, if you have the tearing described in my post, then putting the screens/led walls next to each other will help.

bried wrote:Even in a side by side set up instead of one on top of the other you would still have to use something to keep the screens refreshing together sort of like surround or mosaic right?

You don't have to, but it helps

bried wrote:And I am correct in understanding that surround wont sync across machines but mosiac will?

To sync on a single machine you either use Surround (GeForce cards) or Mosaic (Quadro cards) (same technology on different product families with slightly different features)
If you want multi-machine sync then you'll need a Quadro card + Sync card. You can have a "regular"/"non mosaic" setup with this and it will still be in sync.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby shopp1984 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 pm

hi,dennis,we have two server with Quadro M4000 +Sync card,os is window 7,pb player pro v5.10,when we turn on sync by sync card ,and make two 4k resolution side by side in the one server,and sent to led wall ,but it is still have tearing between two output, can you show the detail about Quadro card + Sync card setting ?let us check our graphic card config
shopp1984

Postby Benni_M » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Do you have fluid frame on?
I recognized that with fluid frame on the Server are not in sync between the frames...
Best,
Benni
Benni_M

Postby shopp1984 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Benni_M wrote:Do you have fluid frame on?
I recognized that with fluid frame on the Server are not in sync between the frames...
Best,
Benni

yes,
i choose fluid frame , but also have tearing, i think it is pandoras box problem, i use quicktime player and WMP test it , LED screen have no tearing .

anyone have same testing ?
shopp1984

Next

Return to Pandoras Box V6