Bootcamp Manager

Christie Pandoras Box Version 6 - Q&A

Moderator: Moderator Group

Forum rules
When asking make sure to include the operating system and the revision of Pandoras Box you are using. If your question is related to hardware, please state if you are using coolux hardware (which one) or if you built your own.

Bootcamp Manager

Postby Chris Bowman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi,

I was recently asked if you could use a MacMini in Bootcamp as a Manager.

Up front, I know that Bootcamp is not recommended for Players. That said, would you use one as a manager? Apart from the integrated GFX card, the spec is good. So preview might be an issue, but for encoding / running the timeline? Would love to know people's thoughts... Importantly, I'm talking about a live show - not just offline programming.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Bowman

Re: Bootcamp Manager

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 am

no
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Chris Bowman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Matthew,

Would you be kind enough to expand on the issues that you encountered.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Bowman

Postby Jason Riordan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:01 pm

The main reason is Apple Bootcamp does not have the same cooling functions built into the drivers as a traditional PC would.

Why not look at a Zotac mini-PC Workstation such as the ZBOX-QK7P5000, which has a Quadro P5000 workstation graphics card within the PC. There are other versions that go down to a P1000, which would be great as a manager, but there are options galore in small form PC's.

https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/ ... 0#overview
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Postby malkuth23 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:23 am

If for no other reason than if something goes wrong, it will be essentially all your fault. Even if the problem was actually in the software or whatever, since the manufacturer tells you not to do it, it will be your liability.

That said, I have definitely ran PB on my macbook pro before, but never ever in a show.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Chris Bowman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks both. I may have not explained myself properly. All of my machines are Windows. Servers (obviously) / Players / Managers. I do not need to use another machine.

However, the question I was asked, was "technically WHY you can't run a manager in Bootcamp". I didn't have an answer so thought I would post it here.

Matthew, I agree with your point - the same reason that we don't use BETAs on a show. It is however only valid IMHO if it can be justified.

Jason, I am interested by the lack of cooling functions in the drivers - do you mean the Graphics drivers? Thanks also for the ZBOX link, I have similar machines but an on board P5000 is interesting. Shame it doesn't have 10G NIC... But I am getting off topic!

PLEASE - I am not trying to start a MAC vs PC argument here - I'm sure many of use both and some just PC.
Chris Bowman

Postby malkuth23 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 am

My honest opinion is - it probably won't make a difference, but media servers are complicated and fussy. Sometimes things go wrong and I never want to feel like I am responsible for that (or have a client feel like I am responsible).

You are right. It is exactly the same a using a beta. I would never tell anyone to use one in a show. Of course, I have had to in a few situations where I need a new feature or bug fix. I still have installs running betas because everything is fine there and I don't upgrade installs unless something is wrong.

If the Mac is the only computer you have available, do what you need to do, but I would avoid it.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Chris Bowman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks Matthew.
Chris Bowman

Return to Pandoras Box V6