Airtouch and Airscan - the difference....

Moderator: Moderator Group

Airtouch and Airscan - the difference....

Postby Patrick Verhey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:02 am

Hi,

as we do have some confusion regarding Airscan, Airbars, Airtouch here some information about it:

We do talk about an Airscan and an Airtouch. The Airtouch is what some people know as Airbars, but oficially we call it Airtrouch.

The Airtouch is actualla a pair of two infrared LED Bars wich are pointing to each other as a Lightcurtain. They have a 3mm pixel pitch and will give us an information about the position where the curtain is “blocked”. So actually we do get 3 vaues out of them.

No.1: Left position
No.2: Right position
No.3: Distance between right and left position (Delta)

With the Airbars you can only track one dimension. So there is only a left to right, no up and down position. In the end you can do a lot of things with it like scaling, moving, rotating a layer. But they are always limited to one dimension. The setup is pretty easy. You have a controller box wich connects to the Widget Designer via USB. Into that controller box you plug the sender and reciever bar with a DIN cable. On the sender you will find a red and a green LED. As soon as the pair is setup right the LED will go from red to green. Thats all for setup. The rest is node programming in Widget Designer.

A good example of th Airtouch work is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdKCiGN9n70

The Airscan is a bit more complex. It is a infrared laser scanner wich will scan the area in a 180° range. The scannig will only take place in one dimension, a bit like a lightcurtain again. But we do get much more information from the Airscan. We will see two points with an individual ID. Each point will have a x and y position. And we can get the Delta in between these points. So with the Airscan we can do a multitouch as well as a left right and up down position.

The Airscan connects to the Widget Designer with a Network Cable and needs to get an IP Adress in the same range as the Widget Designer. Then you will find a tool in the Widget Designer to configure the Airscan. There you can do a lot of settings, mainly to make a definition of the virtual touch screen size. So the angle and distance of the scanned area can be changed here.

As we do get much more information from the Airscan you can do a lot of things with it in the Widget Designer. Due to that the programming and setup is much more complex. And you need to adjust the Airscan settings on every venue as it depends on the distance and height from the mounted Airscan to your screen.

And here you will find a good example of the Airscan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qB5jQTrSU

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

Patrick

Re: Airtouch and Airscan - the difference....

Postby hammersorcer » Wed May 26, 2010 2:22 am

Dear Patrick
I have send you email, but no reply. We would like to add a Airscan or Airtouch into our PB system so as to get a good interactive projection done. Could you tell me some Airtouch and Airscan's websit? I can learn more about them and select some for our PB system. Thank a lot :D

Best regards
Sorcer

Never too old to study
hammersorcer

Postby Patrick Verhey » Wed May 26, 2010 7:14 am

Hi,

Sorry I did not recieve any mail from you. Maybe it got stock somewhere.

What kind of website you are looking for? Looking for hardware or for Demo Clips using the system.

The connection to Pandoras Box is made with the Widget Designer Pro. So if you want to use any of that stuff you need to get familiar with the Widget Designer. We do offer Widget Designer Training in Cologne. If you are interested check the dates here in the forum.

If you want to contact me please try to send a mail to verhey@coolux.de

best regards

Patrick

Postby hammersorcer » Thu May 27, 2010 11:15 am

Dear Patrick
Thanks. I have got a little bit more famillar with Airscan and Airbar thourgh your help. For industrial Airbar we need a adapter or switcher of connecting RS 485 to USB, right ? sorry I do not know it for sure. By the way I'm in china. I can not get to the training which you said.
All I want to do is to thank you. If I get any other questions, I will ask you next time. :D
Last edited by hammersorcer on Fri May 28, 2010 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammersorcer

Postby Julia Foest » Thu May 27, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Sorcer,

yes, you will need either an RS232 Port on your computer or an RS232 to USB adapter.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Return to Widget Designer V4.7