5.1 and 7.1 Surround Sound with Pandoras Box

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

5.1 and 7.1 Surround Sound with Pandoras Box

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi,

Pandoras Box can Playback 5.1 and 7.1 audiofiles.
In order to do so the file needs to be encoded as

PCM INTERLEAVED WAV 32BIT
with 6 CH (for 5.1)
or 8 CH (for 7.1)

Information on how to create such files can be found on Microsofts website.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/creating71audio.aspx

AC3 files are not supported.

Also your Mediaserver or Mediaplayer needs to be equipped with a 5.1 or 7.1 sound device.

The following hardware has been successfully tested:

Have fun with Pandoras Box and Surround Sound

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Re: 5.1 and 7.1 Surround Sound with Pandoras Box

Postby ricky » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi Daniel,
I'm going to try MOTU Interface connected to Media Server but I have a little question before. If I want to play a 5.1 or 7.1 interleaved track I have to use only one Video Layer but I can't understand how can I get 6 or 8 different output from my MOTU. Is it possible by USB2 tranmission or I need ADAT or SPDIF connection?
Can you explain me better the procedure?
Ricky
--ricky--

Tech Sales, Tech Support & Betatesting Coolux
Molpass srl
http://www.molpass.com
ricky

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi Ricky,

the Motu 828 MK2 USB is a USB 2.0 Soundcard with 8 Analog Audio Outputs and 1 ADAT Out (also 8 Channels of Audio) and 1 S/PDIF Output (2 Ch of Audio).

What you need to do is connect the Motu Device to a USB 2.0 Port on your Server or Player. And than your 6 or 8 Speakers to the analog outputs of the Motu Interface, you can propably also use the ADAT connection if you like, but that is untested. S/P Dif will not work since it only supports 2 Channels.

The next step is installing the Driver (take the one from our Website and not the latest from Motu since it does not work, because of changes inside the driver). http://www.coolux.de/kb/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=297

After that disable your internal sound card and make the Motu Analog Outputs your standart windows audio device.

After that you can test if it works by playing the audio testfiles from the download section. http://www.coolux.de/kb/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=63

Does that answer your question?
Greetings
Daniel Kaminski
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby ricky » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Daniel,
now I understand exactly what I'll have to do...Thank you so much for you great explanation!
Regards
Ricky
--ricky--

Tech Sales, Tech Support & Betatesting Coolux
Molpass srl
http://www.molpass.com
ricky

5.1 and 7.1 Surround Sound with Pandoras Box and Motu MK3

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Today we have successfully tested Surroundsound with the Motu MK3.

We used Driver Version 3.6.8.1400 (current Version from the Motu Website).

In order to get all 8 Channels of Audio you need to uncheck the "Use Stereo Pairs for Windows Audio" checkbox in the "MOTU Audio Console" and also select the Motu Output in the Windows "Sound and Audio Device Properties".

After that start your Pandoras Box Software and you should be able to playback 8 Channel Wav files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby P_C » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:14 am

Hi Daniel,

I am looking at a project that requires 4 audio tracks. I was intending on using the Mk3 but would rather invet some money in to the Motu V4HD. Does anyone have any experience using the Motu V4HD in the same way as you describe using the Ultralite Mk3 here with Pandoras Box?

thanks

Paul
P_C

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi Paul,

we do not have experience with the Motu V4HD and right now not the chance to get our hands on one of them. But I have contacted our Motu contact and asked him if the windows audio driver for the V4HD works in the same way the one for the MK3 does. I am waiting for a response and as soon as I have it I will let you know.

Greetings from Germany
Daniel Kaminski
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi Paul,

just got word back from Motu.

"Yes, the audio I/O of the V4HD is supported with the same drivers as the 828mk3 and all other MOTU Firewire interfaces."

which means in theorie all Motu Firewire interface should work with Pandoras Box and I see no reason why they should not.
But as said before we were not able to test it, but I would feel good buying the V4HD.

Let us know if it works fine, so that we can add it to the working 3rd Party products and if not let us know also, so that we can contact Motu about it.

Daniel Kaminski
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby P_C » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:51 am

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. We'll try the V4HD and let you know how we go.

Cheers

Paul
P_C

Re: 5.1 and 7.1 Surround Sound with Pandoras Box and Motu MK3

Postby rik scholten » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 am

I have the motu 2408 mk3 with audio wire connected to my pc. In windows I can choose 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 or 7 and 8. sound on the chosen channels, but just on 2 channels. I am playing an Avi file with 8 channels

I want them all.
I can't find motu audio console, to uncheck use stereo pairs. Where do I find Motu audio console ?
rik scholten

Postby rik scholten » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 am

Hello Daniel,

I could not find the use stereo pairs option to uncheck in the audio console.

In windows I have to choose to wich "port "to send the audio. I can send it to 1,2 or 3,4 or 5,6 or 7,8, but not to all 8.
I installed the driver via the link you showed us.

Have you got some smart advice ?

greetings

Rik
rik scholten

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Rik,

I am on the road right now and will not be back before Wednesday. I do not have a Motu interface with me, so I can not really help you with that, but if I remember correctly the Motu installes a small application that runs in the bottom right corner ( where the clock is). When you doubleclick that you should see the options.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby rik scholten » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:14 am

rik scholten wrote:I have the motu 2408 mk3 with audio wire connected to my pc. In windows I can choose 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 or 7 and 8. sound on the chosen channels, but just on 2 channels. I am playing an Avi file with 8 channels

I want them all.
I can't find motu audio console, to uncheck use stereo pairs. Where do I find Motu audio console ?

Any other forum reader that could help me convince windows (XP Pro) to put sound on 8 channels of my Motu ?

I wish I had my Motu running . . .
rik scholten

Postby rik scholten » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:17 am

rik scholten wrote:
rik scholten wrote:I have the motu 2408 mk3 with audio wire connected to my pc. In windows I can choose 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 or 7 and 8. sound on the chosen channels, but just on 2 channels. I am playing an Avi file with 8 channels

I want them all.

Any other forum reader that could help me convince windows (XP Pro) to put sound on 8 channels of my Motu ?

I wish I had my Motu running . . .

I found Motu audio console, but there is no box to uncheck send stereo in pairs
rik scholten

Postby rik scholten » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:41 am

I removed all drivers that smell like Motu, and installed just the coolux advised Motu drivers. The motu 2408mk3 was not regognized.
might Problem be that motu 2408 is audio wire instead of firewire ?
rik scholten

Next

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components