WD pro and GPI (contact closure)

Moderator: Moderator Group

WD pro and GPI (contact closure)

Postby maarten quirynen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm

dear all,

for a game television show we developed a little widget interface which allows the central computer (game computer) to communicate with PB via midi notes and this works perfectly. the central computer isn't the only thing which needs to communicate with PB so we thought off letting the grassvalley mixer do that via GPI triggering. the costumer liked it more when he could communicate through the mixer instead of for instance a WD interface on a touchscreen computer.

my first question: could you link the same script you link to a midi button to a gpi trigger?

second question: what is the pin lay out for the db25 connector

third question: in general, how to approach gpi. we got the serial link working as a server. we are trying to get output read with a volt meter and already got the in and output nodes turning.

do we approach things the wrong way? please comment?!

cheers,
maarten
maarten quirynen

Re: WD pro and GPI (contact closure)

Postby Julia Foest » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Dear Maarten,

my first question: could you link the same script you link to a midi button to a gpi trigger?

Yes! There is a SerialLink GPI Input Node available that monitors the status of the GPI Input. Attach a Script Output Node for every contact to this INput Node. In the Script Node Properties just set up:
IF (GPI contact) = 1 True Script: (your script).

second question: what is the pin lay out for the db25 connector

Pin 1 = Ground, Pin 2 - 25 = GPI inputs (Pin 2 = GPI 1, Pin 3 = GPI 2 and so on..)

third question: in general, how to approach gpi. we got the serial link working as a server. we are trying to get output read with a volt meter and already got the in and output nodes turning.

Go to Connection Manager and set up a TCP Client Connection, entering the Port and IP of the Serial Link Device.
In the Serial Link GPI Input Node enter this TCP Connection ID.

Generally:
The GPI Inputs need 5V DC to be triggered.
The GPI Outputs will give out 5V DC.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby maarten quirynen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:49 pm

thanks julia for the quick reply.

after some trial and error we got it running. adapted the ip adress within our range: 2.0.0.XXX. dip switched the serial link as server, ignored the gpi to serial or ethernet conversion, connected via the client only mode so i could give in ip and port adresses. we were able to send and receive gpi info. the lights were flickering and there were values adapted in the connection tester.
i wanted to work on the
IF (GPI contact) = 1 True Script: (your script).
but couldn't get it running. is it possible to give some more info?
what i did was the following: i putted a serial gpi input node and connected that to the output node script. i told the input node to receive info from the serial link bij setting the tcp to the id of 11, thats the tcp id we use. i see that the gpi gets input cause the little marker turns on. in the output node script i stated that if "gpi 1 = 1" the true script needs to be: turning a fader up(for a nice fade) and loading the content. is this correct? cause when i gave a 5 volt trigger on that gpi adress it didn't fade or load the image. am i correct that if i would downfade the opacity it would be something like "gpi 1 = 0" and than the true script downfade?

thanks in advance,

maarten
Last edited by maarten quirynen on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maarten quirynen

Postby Julia Foest » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:46 am

Hi Maarten,

you said that in the Serial Link GPI Input Node you see the little checkboxes being ticked when you trigger the GPI contacts, correct?
You connected the Script Output Node, for the true script you entered the WDFaderUp,ID,Seconds script. So far everything sounds correct!

Did you have the Properties Dialog of the Serial Link GPI Node open when you wanted to move the fader - so did you check that the little box infront of GPI 1 was ticked again?
Is your WD setup looking like this?
seriallink.gif

Best regards,
Julia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julia Foest

Postby maarten quirynen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:21 pm

hey julia,
you said that in the Serial Link GPI Input Node you see the little checkboxes being ticked when you trigger the GPI contacts, correct?
correct!

Did you have the Properties Dialog of the Serial Link GPI Node open when you wanted to move the fader - so did you check that the little box infront of GPI 1 was ticked again?
yes we did.

the setup looked exactly like the print screen you posted. we got it working. what we did was in the output script properties, we putted "1" in stead of "1 seriallink gpi in gpi1" and instead of "1" we putted " 1 seriallink gpi in gpi1" for the "on event" and than "0" for the "off or fader down event" and this worked just fine. i hope we did everything just fine? or isn't this the way to approach the equation?

many thanks

maarten
maarten quirynen

Postby Julia Foest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:52 am

Hi Maarten,

it does not matter if you compare A and B or B and A, so that's totally fine what you did.
But you don't need to enter the "0" in the false script.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Return to Widget Designer V4.7