MAC Hardware with Windows OS

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

MAC Hardware with Windows OS

Postby Patrick Verhey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi,

another update on MAC with Pandoras Box. As we have recent support issues with different things on Mac hardware I would like to state out that a MAC hardware is NOT a windows hardware.

Running windows in any version on a MAC hardware we cannot guarantee that either Pandoras Box or the Widget Designer will run without problems.

No matter if you are running BootCamp or any virtual machine like Parallels, you are not running a proper windows system. There are several issues with drivers, runtime updates, security updates and so on which behave different on MAC hardware.

We hardly recommend to use a Windows designated hardware if you run Windows programs and a MAC designated hardware if you are running MAC programs. All Coolux Software is build for Windows.

best regards

Patrick

Re: MAC Hardware with Windows OS

Postby peterkaosa » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:38 am

Which is a sad but true fact... I am not a programmer, but is ist really that difficult to reengineer pc software to mac software? I hardly know anyone still using a pc...
peterkaosa

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Interesting question which has religious dimensions.

OS X is a great system, but not for what we are doing.
We have nothing against OS X and I know a lot of people who use booth systems, but we choose Windows and Direct X as our platform and we will stay with it.

And yes it is difficult do develop software for OS X and Windows at the same time. And very expensive and time consuming.

I hope this helps.

FYI:
I am very sorry that you hardly know anyone that uses a PC, but Marketshare indicated that Apples OS X and iOS together have just reached 10%.
Which means 1 out of 10 Computers out there is a Mac, which also means that 9 people use PCs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar ... ng_systems

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby redrhino » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Without starting a religous war over OS types, I have found something useful for those ' here's your content, it's on a mac hard drive' moments!
Paragon software, the guys who do partition stuff etc, sell a little driver program for a few quid/buck/euros that allows you to see and read files formatted on a mac osx (hfs) hard drive on your PC machine. This makes it quicker and easier to sort your content out and you do not need a mac to get to the files you want. It has got me out of the doo doo a couple of times now.
Hope this helps.
Here is the link. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/
redrhino

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi Redrhino,

thanks for sharing this.
This will definitely help to save time sometimes...

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby chrissjones » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Err...but people that make film on non-dedicated hardware use Mac and Final Cut, I would never get paid if I worked on PC.
chrissjones

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:42 pm

That is too bad for you. If you only get paid if you use a Mac than please do so. We like if you get paid, that means you can buy more Pandoras Boxes, but they will run on Windows and we like it.
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby benmason » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:20 am

To save having to carry both a PC and Macbook around Virtual Machine (Freeware) for mac seems to allow running Pandoras box editor on Win XP. All whilst inside of OSX. The only issue I have found it getting the dongle to play took a few attempts and some research on the VM forum.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, if a macbook is running XP from a bootcamp partition how is it any different from a Dell / Toshiba / Acer Laptop? It has an Intel processor and a very similar main board. It has a SATA HDD and standard format RAM. Macbooks use standard Intel Ethernet ports and common graphics cards, I am quite sure the shiny silver case has no influence on the operation of Pandoras Box.

Do the developers have any specific information as to which items of mac hardware are incompatible?
benmason

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:33 am

Hi,

the BIOS / UEFI Implementation of Apple is pretty poor for using other OS than OS-X. It has a basic implementation and works well for Office Stuff, but not for highly hardware demanding applications.
A lot of Macbooks have dual GPUs which are can be very problematic.

I have a MacBook Pro myself and I use Pandoras Box for preparing a production under Bootcamp, but would not trust it to run a show.
We have seen Overheating of GPUs and heat related freezes. I fried a MacBook on a Produktion where we were forced to run players on it and one of the Macbooks just completely died after a couple of hours of video playback.

They are just not made for that and it is not reliable hardware for running Windows in a demanding production environment. Running OS-X Applications different story.

If you just want to offline edit or encode or preprogram it will probably be very fine, but do not blame coolux or ask for help if your MacBook dies or it is not doing like you expect it.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby nelbert » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:24 pm

We are encountering many problems because the servers HAVE to run XP and you do not recommend running XP & 7 in combination as it causes sync issues (which we have encountered). So our Media Managers & Players all have to run XP too - you cannot even buy XP anymore. We are restricted to an obsolete operating system, how long will this go on for?
nelbert

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:20 am

Hi nelbert,

I hear your frustration and I am trying to explain:

a) There should be no sync issues running a Manager in Win7 and Clients in XP. A lot of people do that and this has been tested a lot.
You can run Win 7 Manager with ASIO Output and XP Clients and never run into sync issues.
b) mixing Server Clients (XP) with Player Clients (Win 7) will lead to sync issues, so please do not mix Clients in a Softedge Projection or on a LED Wall.
There is nothing coolux can do about that, it has something to do with changed system architecture inside Windows.
Windows just reacts slightly differently which can lead to those sync problems.
However you can of course mix Win 7 Clients and Win XP Clients when the Outputs are not Related to each other like in a Softedge.

c) Coolux is quite aware that Windows XP can not be bought by end users anymore. It is however still available to manufactures.
Coolux is also aware that this can lead to all kind of problems when mixing clients.
Changing to OS on a current Product is not as easy as it sounds for many reasons and would lead to way more problems.

d) The first coolux Product that is available with Windows 7 is the new Compact Player and the new Compact Station that was released a couple of weeks/month ago.
http://www.coolux.de/products/pandorasboxcompactplayer/

e) I can pretty much ensure you, that if a new Hardware Products comes out (like the Compact Player), they will not have XP anymore.

f) At this point in time there is also no plan of changing the very well working Hardware / OS Combination of the V4 Servers or Dual / Quadplayers to Windows 7.

It does not answer you question of how long it will take (since I do not know that answer), but I hope this answer helps you a little bit.
Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Return to Pandoras Box V5