Dvi cabling/ distance question

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Dvi cabling/ distance question

Postby jackalope » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi, very new to pandora (we haven't received it yet) and video projection. What is the best and most economical way to connect the server to the projector given that they may be 50-100 feet away. What is the maximum distance I can go with a standard dvi cable? Do I need an "extender" if I am using a fiber optic HDTV DVI-D Fiber optic cable?
A point in the right direction would be very helpful,
Thanks
jackalope

Re: Dvi cabling/ distance question

Postby jackalope » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Is anyone extending dvi over cat 5 cable? Does this solution cause edge blending or performance issues?
jackalope

Postby JustynR » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:23 pm

You will need to extend it... generally for anything over 30'.

I have not noticed any huge performance issues, but I am sure there are others here who have....

Usually what I do is try and put the computer right beside the projector (so long as it isn't in a truss or something) and just run the Manager with the Cat 5 cable - instead of trying to pump HD or what ever through Cat 5 which is, as we all know, very temperamental - and Fiber... very expensive.

So yes, in my experience, you will have to extend the DVI some way if you can't move the Server closer.
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby jackalope » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:31 am

I found this cable.
http://www.computercablesource.com/fibe ... -1657.html

Is this an all on one solution or am I missing something?
jackalope

Postby VisuaLies » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 am

I've used 100" dvi cables several times.

The orange optical cable works perfect, also I've used a very thick "normal" cable that works, I don't know name of the product.
The oragne one has electronics in the conector, no other electronics needed.

BUT, be carefull with the cable, especially the connectors, they are fragile, one foot on it, and you are f¤#ked.

;-)
-Kasper
VisuaLies

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 am

Hi everybody,

using fibers can sometimes lead to EDID-problems depending on the fibre. Some fibers are capable of transmitting the original EDID (transparent mode), that you really "see" the monitor in the graphic card. This way it will be shown with the right name in the NVidia Control Panel.
Other (not constantly connected) fiber extenders have the possibility to dismount the connectors from the fibre. Most of the times, you need to program the EDID to the source connector before using the cable.

This shall not be a warning against using fibers, but you should always be aware, that fibers may lead to different DVI-EDID behavior and are not able to transmit DVI-Analog signals.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby VisuaLies » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:49 pm

True. Allways use a EDID manager. I use a great cheap product "DVI Detective"
VisuaLies

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi again,

if the fibers are set up correctly you should not need an EDID-manager, but it is most recommended to have this in your backpack all the time as media-server operator! :-)

By the way, the "DVI parrot" from Carallon is only a little bit more expensive but offers you great features like looking inside EDIDs and edit them the way you need.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby jackalope » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:39 am

so what about this non-fibre product?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGwQ8gIwAg

Would I be better off staying away from fiber because of EDID issues? again a novice here looking for the least hassle in setting up system.

Thanks!
jackalope

Postby Patrick Verhey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:50 am

Hi,

its hard to tell if that cable is good or not. We did made very different experiences with different cables, no matter the price. Usually we recommend to use Fiber cables or Cat extenders from 100" on.

The EDID Issues Markus did talk about will be the same on the CAT 5 extenders. Some of the extenders will send the EDID from the projector to the graphic card, some not. In general we do have more people reporting issues on CAT 5 cables than on fibre cables. Mainly because of the bandwith needed for HD signals.

So we usually recommend to use fibre cables, but that does not mean that CAT will not work at all.

best regards and welcome to the Pandoras Box family :D

Patrick

Postby jackalope » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks!.. I am learning a lot already. I noticed in researching the fibre optic cable that you can also purchase a "PS-1DVI" power supply. I am thinking of using a 98' kramer fibre cable and was considering purchasing the power supply... but then in researching the DVI Detective mentioned here I noticed that it also has a 5v power supply? would I use the two in unison or does the detective also act as a power supply for the fibre cable?

I think I am seeing the light at the end of the fibre tunnel :)
jackalope

Postby JustynR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:08 pm

The power supply for the DVI detective is only to program it.
After it is set up the DVI card will provide power to the DVI Detective.

As far as I know, the DVI Detective will not power the Fiber, but it may pass enough power from the graphics card to power it.

You will only need 1 power supply to run your setup (if any at all... I haven't used that style of cable so I don't know)

Cheers,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby Jason Riordan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I know for ourselves we have 50' Copper DVI cables that I'm able to use without issues. These were not cheap and the thickness of the cable and connectors are not ideal but for that length they are perfect. For longer, I've used the Kramer fiber cables that you had mentioned in your post and they work well. I have had to use the power supplies with them on occasion if I'm going over 250' but again no problems.

Also for another option is using Magenta Research HD-One HDMI extenders. The great things about those is that they will allow for a distance upto 300' and are digital all the way through. Ive used them now for over 1.5 years and never had an issue when using them on a blended screen. They do pass EDID perfectly and very reasonably priced.

Hope that helps.
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Postby malkuth23 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:08 pm

I have had issues with longer DVI cables when using input cards of all varieties. Especially when coming out of unusual sources: ie. a Mac via Displayport -> DVI. The EDID strength seems to vary depending on the source and destination.

Keep this in mind if you have troubles. The cable may be ok for one scenario, but not another. Fiber is definitely safer.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby viperware » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:17 pm

We use a product from thinklogical called velocity dvi. This transmits dvi over dual mode fiber with a fibercon connector to a receiver on the other side converting back to dvi. They have been very reliable for me and have not had any edid issues with it. This is probably a costly solution but it has worked great for me for over a year and nearly 200 shows.
-paul
viperware

Next

Return to Pandoras Box V5