troubles with extended ASCII

Moderator: Moderator Group

troubles with extended ASCII

Postby greenpix » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:55 pm

ahoy there,
I am currently attempting to send an ASCII-stream via TCP to WDPro forward to a textbox.
This is all working quite fine and dandy, yet when it comes to extended ASCII, in particular Umlaute (ä,ö,ü), the TCP Input appears scrambled in the respective bytes. Pretty much any value over 128 gets assigned weirdly and/or wrong. The best I could do was to use some "wrong" values (128 for ü, 247 for Ö and 402(!) for Ä) but I could not manage to get an output for Ü,ö,ä and ß, no matter what value I send.
The TCP connection is done from Max/MSP/JAVA via [mxj net.tcp.send] which appears to be behaving properly, when I check the values along the way or when tcping to itself.
Does anyone have an idea and experience where the bug might be / how I can send proper german text to WD? I have 6 simultaneous textfields that need to be updated on the push of a button, line for line from their respective textfiles. I have looked at the textreader, but I could not find a way on how to go to the next line on bang, instead of a predetermined speed. Also, I would rather send the lines from max for ease of asset-managment. Any help would be appreciated. thanks and pardon the trouble.
greenpix

Re: troubles with extended ASCII

Postby greenpix » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:02 pm

I just found http://www.coolux.de/root/downloads/sup ... _Table.pdf, I will try to use this for help, it seems the ASCII conversion from JAVA is not following the same index as yours and is spitting out errors for values over 128. So it appears to be a problem on the max side of things. Still if you have any JAVA/Max solution, I would look forward to suggestions.
Alternatively if I send the string of numbers, is there a way to do the backconversion to ASCII in WD?
greenpix

Postby greenpix » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:50 pm

I I switched to using the textreader now. I send the content over to PB via PB Text line for line- but it does not seem to transfer empty lines . Anything I need to enter in an empty line so that it clears the content of a textinput in PB? I tried adding spaces, and tabulators. Advice would be quite needed!
greenpix

Postby Mike Steinbrecher » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:58 pm

HI,

hm I tested what you wrote in the last topic.
If you make a space in your empty line, then it works directly.

Can you sent me your textfile to support@coolux.de plus maybe your WD file then we will double check your case here.

Best regards

Mike
---------------------------------------------
Mike Steinbrecher
Technical Sales Manager
Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik

Christie Digital Systems | http://www.christiedigital.com| Richard-Byrd-Strasse 19 | 50829 Koeln | Germany
Mike Steinbrecher

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:51 am

Hi,

For reference you can use http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf which is the Latin-1 Supplement part of the unicode standard.
(leave out the 0-Bytes, so 00CF makes only 0xCF)

Best regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Return to Widget Designer V4.7